Thursday, April 21, 2011

NE & ANIYO

In Level 1 Lesson 2 of TTMIK, the English responses are translated. These are "Yes." and "No." We often say 'yes' as sign of agreement to what had been said and 'no' as disagreement. These two words have broad meanings because people get to understand the message implied even if the whole idea has not been expressed by the speaker. For instance, just by saying "NO!" to somebody may stop someone in doing something because it may be interpreted as "Don't do that!" or "Stop!"

In Korean, "Yes" is 네. [ne] and "No." is 아니요. [a-ni-yo].

네. [ne] = Yes., That's right., I agree., What you have said is correct.
아니요. [a-ni-yo] = That's not right. I disagree. What you have said is incorrect.

But as to what I have learned in TTMIK, 네 [ne] can also mean I see. / I got it. / I’m here! (when someone calls you) / I understand. / Ah-ha. / in a usual Korean conversation. Changing the intonation(into a question), "네?" [ne?] will mean "Pardon me?", "I'm sorry, what did you say?", "Again?"or "I didn't hear you well." This may also express surprise. To explain this further, I would suggest to visit http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/level-1-lesson-2/ to be able hear the sample conversations by TTMIK teachers.

The translation to the expression, "Yes, that's right!" was also introduced in the said lesson. As we know now , 'yes' is 네 [ne] then we add 맞아요 [ma-ja-yo] for 'that's right' to emphasize agreement. So, 네, 맞아요. [ne, ma-ja-yo] = Yes, that’s right.

FYI (In Filipino)

In Filipino, there is no difference about the usage or meaning of the terms "Yes." and "No." to either English or Korean. "Yes." is translated as "Oo" [o-o] and "No." is "Hindi".

To make it more polite, instead of saying "Hindi." as "No." we add the word PO at the end which makes it "Hindi po."

There is a quite difference in saying "Oo." as "Yes." politely. Instead of adding PO at the end to make it "Oo po.", we simply say "OPO." I guess, as time went by the expression was just shortened to "Opo."

It is really awkward to hear Filipino children answering an adult with "Oo." That is the reason why Filipinos commonly tells a joke(but sometimes it is sarcastic) to children who do not practice answering "Opo" to eat vegetable called "upo" so that they will not forgot to answer politely since "opo" sounds like "upo."

Now, I ask you, do you need to eat 'upo'?

OO o HINDI? :D


Check out this practice video by talktomeinkorean:

No comments:

Post a Comment

KOREAN VOCABULARY (from TTMIK)

KOREAN PHRASES